Monday, September 17, 2012

You thought the frog story was bad?

Hello all!

Remember that time I stepped on a Frog? Well I have a similar story for you...and in my opinion this one is worse...

It all started at work. Since I am off of school for the next 3-4 months I am back working at Chick Fil A. Yay! Year # 4! Haha. Anyway seeing as how our store is always super busy we have a second drive thru. This happened like 2 years back, but my point is that ever since we opened plans have been put in motion to accelerate the speed of service that our store has to offer. The current method is having 2 outdoor expeditors. What is that you ask? Well two employees go outside and pull the cars up to the very edge of the drive-thru (past the window and clear up to the drive thru exit) We then grab the order paper, their food, and their drinks and run it all out to them, take their cash/credit card, and then run it back to the window to pay. Lastly we run their receipt/card/change back to their car and they drive off on their merry way. It is definitely a good plan to move things along quickly. So one lovely day I'm outside doing this very physical task with a good friend of mine from work (we'll call her Mary to save her the embarrassment of being mentioned on my blog)

Mary and I are doing a great job running these transactions (on a good day we'll do 100 something cars in an hour) All of a sudden Mary screams. I'm talking a bloody murder kind of scream, not just a little scream. I honestly thought maybe a car had run over her foot or something. (The first rule in outside expediting is "Don't get run over"...no that's not a joke my manager really told me that when teaching me how to do it) So thinking her foot was probably a mangled mess I looked down at the ground just in time to see a little grey mouse scamper off behind the car. It really was a cute mouse. I'm not a fan of vermin or anything but this was just a small grey mouse. It wasn't a rat. It was maybe the size of an iPhone screen...maybe even a little smaller. So realizing that it was just a mouse that sent Mary screaming I laughed. It was in fact, quite humorous. She screamed jumped and ran away. The guy in the giant truck behind us was laughing too.

Not even a minute later I feel something on my foot...Thinking I possibly dropped a sauce packet or something I just moved my foot...but then I felt it again.  Something was definitely crawling on my foot...I looked down very calmly hoping to not alarm Mary and at the same time trying not to scream myself. There was the mouse...trying to pick up a waffle fry to possible bring home to his little mouse family. Now I can see a mouse on the ground and not freak...but this little guy was on my foot..it wasn't a pet mouse..it was a homeless mouse. I'd be no less terrified if a homeless man had come over to collect fries from beneath the drive thru window.

I tried to hide my horror, but I was looking down at my foot with a very frightened look on my face. Mary saw that face and followed my gaze downward. "AGHHHHHHHHHH IT'S BACK IT'S ON YOUR FOOT! IT'S A MOUSE!" the guy in the truck behind us is nearly in tears from laughing. Mary at this point has run to the very end of the drive-thru and people are giving her a stare that clearly said "should you be in an asylum rather than working here?" because clearly they had no pretext to her bizzare behavior. This was in fact the second time she had screamed and run past them and all.

Of course the last thing you want to yell at a food establishment is "mouse!" or "rat!" or "cockroach" so everyone inside the building is telling Mary to shut her mouth. I'm laughing and extremely relieved that the mouse has vacated my foot. It had scampered off when Mary began screaming bloody murder. The guy with the truck finally had his food so he began to drive off....

It was then that I heard the noise.

Thinking back on the noise alone makes me want to vomit.

It was a mixture between a pop, a crunch, and a squelching noise.

Excuse me while I go vomit. (I apologize if you happen to be reading this and eating at the same time)

The mouse had apparently left my foot but didn't want to go far from that fry so he ran behind the tire of the truck. Of course when the truck started to move it was too late for the poor little mouse.

I heard the noise and instantly knew the source of it, but I didn't want to look. I couldn't, I was horrified. I also knew that it had to be moved. NO I didn't move it, there was no way I could touch it. You know when you don't want to look? I mean you REALLY don't want to look, but yet. You have to. I looked. Nearly lost the food I'd eaten on my break. It was disgusting. I get grossed out enough when I see road kill when I'm driving, but this was 10 times worse. It was 2 feet away from me first of all.

That poor mouse was inside out. Guts spilled out of every...nope I can't go on. Sorry I'm going to spare you those details mainly because I will probably vomit if I continue. I'm just going to tell  you that it was GROSS. If you know me, you know I can't handle blood, any sort of bodily fluid really. I mean I give plasma twice weekly when I'm up at school and I never look at the IV coming out of my arm nor the rest of the people in the room giving plasma. I couldn't. I'd probably barf or pass out. One of my favorite tv shows is Bones and ask anyone. I literally have to turn my head and avoid looking at the dead bodies they find. The word flesh alone gives me the willies.

I had to tell someone so I leaned in the window with my eyes closed trying to block the image from my mind "someoneranoverthemouse" I half whispered half squealed...Of course no one understood what I said, eyes still closed "someoneRAN OVER themouse" It took them a second but the horror on their faces confirmed that they'd heard me. They both cautiously looked out the window (I'm still looking in the window trying not to vomit, but I can feel it trying to escape) quick as a flash they both pull their heads in the window and silently scream...you know how those look...the person looks as if their screaming and there is no noise. (you may have guessed already but everyone in drive-thru that morning was a girl haha) A boy had to take charge, he came and swept up the  mouse and threw it away. Only problem was...there was still mouse blood in two different spots (I forgot to mention that another car ran it over and it stuck to his tire, but fell off shortly after) I was still feeling pretty ill and wanted to just go inside, but no way was that going to happen, we still had like half an hour left. So we poured some hot water on the blood...of course that didn't work.  Then someone suggested coke seeing as how blood is actually cleaned off the street after an accident with coke. Sure enough that worked well enough so that I wasn't seeing blood, however the memory burned into my mind and I felt sick the rest of my shift.

I love animals. I really do. I could never hunt or watch any animal being slaughtered. I hate bugs with every fiber of my being and I can't even kill those. This was horrifying and now every time I see road kill I think of that poor mouse daddy or mommy that couldn't take waffle fries to his/her little mouse babies and they will grow up forever thinking they'd been abandoned. So sad :(

No comments: