Monday, September 17, 2012

Even adult women need a time out!

I know I've already blogged two stories today, but I can't promise I'll be on again soon and I would like to make sure that this story is told. I'll be up front. This one isn't funny. It's just a recount of my weekend.

So I don't know if you've ever heard of the conference "Time Out for Women" it's a weekend thing for women. It's a time to get away and listen to wonderful talks given by wonderful people and the chance to hear lovely musical numbers. This was the first one I'd had the opportunity to go to. My mom asked if I wanted to go. I wasn't really looking forward to sitting still for hours on end to listen to people I didn't know talk about church stuff. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy going to church, but I feel like 3 hours on Sunday was enough church for a weekend, I didn't want to give up 3 hours on Friday and 6 on Saturday for it as well.

I'm SO glad I went. I usually have an extremely hard time paying attention to one person talking for more than 15 minutes. I swear I'm ADD. Even if it looks like I'm paying attention to someone chances are my mind is elsewhere. It's not a lack of interest. It's literally just a lack of focus. I really went so that I could have an excuse not to work for the weekend. I planned on snoozing through a talk or two and catching up on some sleep that I'd been lacking.

Here is the link to what our line up was for the weekend.

I don't know if you've heard of any of these people. (If you have it's most likely Hilary Weeks or Brad Wilcox) but they were all AMAZING speakers. They each had fantastic stories to tell. I cried. I'll be real I cried. I don't cry, and I cried. Just watch this video and you'll probably want to go too.



We had the opportunity to hear from this woman Mariama Kallon. She has an amazing and sad story. She inspires me.



She is also featured in this music video from Hilary Weeks who was another presenter. I fell in love with her music and she is also a very entertaining speaker. This song is fantastic and so sad yet spiritually edifying.




Anyway it was a GREAT weekend. I didn't fall asleep once and I paid attention to each and every speaker which I realize is a miracle in itself.

Lastly I want to thank my mom. I can't express in words how much I love my mom. She is an inspiration to me and a great example of the truth and love that comes with being a part of this wonderful gospel that she has raised me in. I know I wouldn't be the person I am today without her constant love and example of service and kindness that she has been. I know we don't always get along, but if we did then people would probably thing there was something wrong with us. Seriously she is the best. I thank my Heavenly Father for blessing me with such a great and steadfast mother who has never failed to stand up for truth and righteousness in my eyes. I love you mom.


No comments: